Sunday, March 16, 2014

Something Every College Senior Needs To Hear

Photo credit to Melissa O'Donohue: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melle_oh/


I recently read an article on Thought Catalog titled "Let's Stop Using "20-Something" As An Excuse". The author was sick of the stereotypical "20-something" mentality that the opportunity for life to start happening needs to jump into your lap, rather than striving for it yourself.

I'm almost disappointed that it took this article for it to dawn on me, but I'm glad I could eventually come to my senses.

The last semester of college throws you into the abyss of wondering what the hell you're going to do with your life and what your next move will be. 

If you're approaching graduation, and starting to develop stomach ulcers over the fact, I'm going to tell you one thing that you need to do. Shut up and stop complaining. If we lived in a Monsters, Inc. type of world where our energy source was bottled complaints from young 20 year olds rather than the screams of young children, we could create enough nuclear bombs to evaporate the entire solar system.

I get it. You're stressed. Understandably, the unknown scares you. But what is complaining going to do about that? Will it write you cover letters and fill out applications for you? Will it get you a job? Will it pay for your loans? Will it make you happy? No. So why continue to do it? 

Don't make your life out to be so much harder than those around you. The National Center for Education Statistics projects that about 1.6 million students at the bachelors degree level will graduate as the college class of 2014. Most of them probably don't have a clue either. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and do the best that you can.

Maybe you'll interview for a position you really want but won't get the job. Feel sorry for yourself for a day, then get over it. I'm sick of people twisting the definition of rejection into meaning that they're not good enough. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your life won't be either. It's near impossible to get everything right on the first try, so cut the tomfoolery and end the pity party.

Stop looking at your goals as a destination rather than a state of being. Of course we all have that one "dream job". Honestly though, we'll know when we get there. We're constantly searching and searching and searching forgetting to enjoy the in-between. 

You will make mistakes, don't dwell on them. You will have mental breakdowns, don't let them conquer you. Go out into life after college with a solid foundation built on a positive attitude and a little bit of faith. 

I'm just so sick of everyone around me crying and whining. We all knew this was coming. I'm not completely insensitive and of course I'm sad and scared to be leaving college and everything that has been familiar to me up to this point in my life. But I have one of two choices.

1. Let that sadness and fear stay with me and spend life after graduation wishing I was still in college, which is a gross waste of time; because, once that degree is in my hand, undergraduate life is over and it is never coming back.

2. Realize that college is over and it is not the end of the world. 

When I graduate in May I will be 22. The last time I checked, that wasn't too old. So why not get the ball rolling early? The next few years are mine to mold and create the life that I always wanted. I urge you do the same.

I'll end by saying I wish everyone luck in the real world. The next few years are not about pleasing society. They are not about pleasing your friends. They are not about pleasing your parents. They are about pleasing yourself. Embrace the process of finding out who you and the ins and outs of your heart and soul. I know you can do it.



  


Posted By: Unknown

Something Every College Senior Needs To Hear

Share:

Post a Comment

Facebook
Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Stalk Me

© Book Of Julieism's All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates